You have all overwhelmed me with your super kind comments on Tori's "big girl room" reveal. Most of you were lovin' these floors and I received some questions about them so I decided I'd better set aside the t-shirt scarf I'm in the middle of making, set the timer on those cheesecakes in the oven, and put some "Tooty Ta" on for the kids to dance to while I post about this adorable floor!
Disclaimer: I am in no way an expert. Just a thrifty DIYer with a case of attention deficit disorder that drives my mom insane, who uses what I have on hand since I'm so spur-of-the-moment that I don't have time to run to town to buy supplies. If I can do this, so can you!!
First, remove carpet, padding, and staples Make sure to remove ALL those pesky staples! Make sure also to warn your kiddos that they will pierce their tender little footsies in multiple places should they decide to ignore the warnings of coming in to see why you're creating such a disaster.
My mom always does the easy stuff. Like scrubbing the 150 year old grime off the wood plank flooring. She said her rag smelled like smoke from a coal burner. Not sure how she knows what that kind of smoke smells like, but she's got a lot of info up in that there pretty little head. She scrubbed, and scrubbed, and scrubbed. While I pulled, and pulled, and pulled... on staples. Somehow she didn't think that was very fair.
Well why didn't you say so, before mom? I gladly would have scrubbed those floors. :)
So did we sand, you ask?
No. My friend Marie, who is an amazing fellow do-it-yourself-er, popped in on us and said that she sanded her floors before painting them and they must have been a soft pine wood or something and you could see every little sanding mark. Good. Wasn't going to bother with that anyway!
I had some gray porch floor paint, a few off-white mistints and some other paint from cans that only had 1/2 an inch left in them. It was quite gratifying to throw away at least twenty empty paint cans that night. (We opened at least fifteen cans and emptied the non-dried out ones for the wall color, too.)
Using a regular nappy roller, I put the paint on the floor fairly thick.
The next morning, I touched up around the walls and a few places that it was thin, but it did not need a second coat. Phew!
I dug through my slightly disorganized stencil stash and narrowed it down to about three. This was the first one I decided to test in the corner and I was instantly in love. The spacing with this stencil was really easy to eye-ball and I never measured anything. Just used the edge of the stencil as my marker and eye-balled across to make sure I was lined up and went one at a time with a foam roller. It took hardly any paint and thankfully the room is fairly tiny and it took me about two hours to completely cover the floor.
Next came the Polycrylic.
I just realized I've been misspelling this word on my blog for two years. Shoot.
While it was totally necessary as a protective finish, I'm a little bummed that it interacted a little with some of that century old varnish and yellowed in a few spots. Pretty sure I saw Suzan from Simply Vintageous recently inform someone that it's called "tanning". Suzy Q? Am I right?? :)
Anyways, you can see what I mean in a few photos down.
To apply, I used a foam roller. It dries fairly quickly, which is a big ole' bonus for us impatient people (and wives trying to finish before hubbies gets home from business trips in five hours!).
It gave the floor a beautiful, finished look and also makes cleaning it much easier. Not that I would know much about that.
Now I might possibly be the only one who would even notice
the yellowing or "tanning" but I want to be honest and "fo real" with you so here's a pic where you can see she ain't perfect:
-For the full room reveal with before and afters, click HERE.
-For the barnwood siding headboard tutorial, click HERE.
Linking at these awesome parties listed HERE and shown here: