Two years ago, I got brave and painted my pinkish/peachy colored porcelain counter top on my bathroom vanity. I sanded it, used Zinser Primer, and then foam rolled on a couple coats of pewter colored Rustoleum Counter Top Paint. I also sealed it with poly. It was the perfect solution.... for awhile. And then around the faucet area, where the soap dish sits and gets banged around by my kids who refuse to use their own bathroom, the paint started coming off. It got bad. Awful looking. And also, there were rusty looking stains appearing on the paint that wouldn't scrub off. I know my water has iron in but... sheesh! So I decided to go the route of chalk paint. My mom recently re-painted her kitchen counter tops using homemade chalk paint and rants and raves about how amazing and tough they are. (And they are! I intend to have a post in the near future on that).
As you can see from this next picture, I really didn't have much to lose. I went to Ikea all ready to buy a new vanity even, but Hubby wasn't on board.
So since I had everything on hand to try a new paint method and wouldn't need to spend a dime, my little girl and I started working one fine snow day.
Oh, in case you aren't familiar with making your own chalk paint (yes, contrary to what you might read, it's the same recipe for chalkboard paint), we added a few tablespoons of Plaster of Paris to a yogurt dish of latex paint.
It looked like quite the polka dot design when Tori was done with the first step:
I dug around in my paint stash and found a reddish bergundy which I squirted some brown crafters paint into, and then added the spoonful of Plaster of Paris. I dabbed that on. I put it on fairly thick. I wanted a good thick coating so it wouldn't chip off.
The Plaster of Paris, in case you're wondering, makes the paint really hard when it's dry so it won't easily scratch off.
I put masking tape around the sink edge since I didn't want to paint the sink - I'm afraid of how it would hold up. If you have done a sink before, please let me know how it is!
It was starting to look way to polka dotty of a pattern so I used a rag to glob and dab on the next color - brown.
I know in this next photo, it looks like I'm adding a shade of green, but it is just the lighting playing tricks. It's actually brown.
It's very rough and bumpy when it dries. Which means it's time to use some sand paper. Sand it all down lightly, after it is good and dry (I put a space heater on it to hurry it up).
After sanding, you might see some white spots from where the Plaster of Paris didn't mix in all the way and little pockets of powder are exposed. You can probably avoid this happening if you dissolve your Plaster of Paris in some hot water before mixing it into your paint. I got lazy and skipped that step (or just plumb forgot...).
I used a wet rag and scrubbed over the spots until they disappeared.
When I had the paint how I liked it, I sprayed the whole thing with a clear lacquer finish. I actually applied four coats. Four is the minimum I would recommend!
Now I'm really wanted to paint the cabinet some shade of green. I was in Lowes the other night so I grabbed every paint swatch there was with a green shade. You should know me by now however - I'll just end up mixing up something of my own I'm sure! Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Then I'll have to do the walls - which I'm not looking forward to since there are cathedral ceilings and last time we painted this bathroom my mom fell headfirst into the bathtub. She really should just have a helmet permanently put on her head.
Well, there it is, folks! Here's to hoping this holds up much better than the last paint technique!
To see the total makeover, including the framed in mirror from two years ago, click HERE!
The Shabby Nest