For this project, I used some left over boards from who-knows-what house project. I cut them all the same lengths, staggered them, and stained them with a dark walnut finish from Minwax. I actually rubbed it on with a rag, rather than using the foam brush shown in the photo. I'm lazy and steal photos from other posts. :)
Originally, I just put two support boards on the back. NO CAN DO. It shifted back and forth pretty bad and was anything but sturdy. So a third board in the middle did the trick. So to save you from guessing, you need to have three supports in the back, and a screw screwed into EACH horizontal board. for a total of twelve screws (if you're using four boards of course).
Then I just stenciled on my letters, and the bird. Yes, I know I'll probably get some flack from someone out there for not connecting the letters after stenciling. But... whatever.
I had this for sale on Etsy, but now that I'm moving to a house with three fireplaces, I think I'll find a spot on one of the mantels for it! No to renewing the listing in the shop for now. :)